View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 AM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
As someone who only dabbles in vintage photos, I have a question (and please forgive my ignorance...)

How unlikely is it that others will now surface? With all of the Newspaper companies going belly-up, isn't there a decent chance that more of these will turn up? Aren't there likely more copies stashed away in the archives somewhere?

It's an epic photo, and I understand the importance... But it also seems risky to pay over $50K when we don't really know how many others exist. As an example, Ty Cobb Tobacco Tins were considered to be exceedingly rare (with less than 5 known to exist). They're still rare, but at least 3 - 4 new examples have surfaced, since that one was showered with publicity a couple of years ago.

Would it be out of the question for that to happen in this case?
Great point Mark. I love the photo and have zero issue with what the final hammer will be, but whether it's worth the risk that another will pop up down the road is up to the bidders.

On an unrelated note Mark, you have a tremendous collection and you have it displayed very well. Can you tell me where you get those plastic holders for your flat stuff? They're like plate holders, stands, etc? I need a bunch and don't like what I've found so far. thanks.

Last edited by Splinte1941; 05-30-2012 at 06:51 AM.