View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by btkpath View Post
One thing that I have always wondered about is whether people view the caramel staining typical in the Cracker Jack sets as charming or as an unwanted, necessary evil. Did the staining play a part in guiding one's interest in one set over the other? Obviously, due to them being available as complete sets by mail, it is easier to find cards from the '15 set in unstained, relatively pristine form.

Personally, one of the aspects of the 1914 set that drew me to it was the staining and other imperfections that conjured up thoughts of children buying boxes of Cracker Jacks, opening them, pulling the enclosed card out and collecting and enjoying the cards.

What are others' opinions?

Thanks

Barry
Barry, that is such a great point you make. I love the stains because they prove the card was NOT from one of the mail-order 1915 sets. I dislike the 1915 CJ set for the same reason I dislike the Sporting Life cards: you could order them as a set. That's just too sterile for me.

Nothing like a beautiful CJ with nice corners and a few vintage caramel stains, be it '14 or '15.