View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Scott,

I can’t answer for the OP, but I did get into the hobby because I do love (well...really like a lot) cards. Personally though I didn’t get into the hobby because I like “examining cards” or really anything else other than I like the player/s I collect and cardboard was cool. I know I didn’t do much, as you stated, conducted “work” before the purchase. Maybe I’m lazy, but I thought it was a hobby and not a job. At this point I really don’t trust the grading companies, auction houses, or some of these resellers since the almighty dollar seems to be supreme. I’m sure I’ll begin to start to somewhat trust certain auction houses, but will be gradual. I won’t be purchasing high grade cards though. The thing you said that got me is that you’ve been burned plenty of time and learned from it; I don’t want to get burned at all.
I can appreciate that. It's hard for me to walk a mile in another man's moccasins sometimes.

I love the knowledge and learning about the cards themselves, not everyone is the same. That being said, if you are the kind of guy who collects because he loves the game and the history and old bits of cardboard, then, to me, it doesn't make sense to be in the high-end market in the first place. If you ARE in the high end market then the monetary value both present and future IS important to you. I feel it's incumbent upon the buyer of such items to be able to rely on themselves.

I wouldn't call high-end buyers who don't know their stuff lazy, just naive in believing they can trust anyone 100%. Even reputable people and companies make mistakes, though they tend to be the ones who fix their mistakes quickly!

I guess how I feel is, if you're in the high end market, unless you won the lottery or inherited all your money, odds are you're fairly smart. With the application of that intelligence to the cards you buy, you should still be reasonably safe, just don't abdicate your decision making abilities to a third party.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-24-2019 at 08:53 AM.