View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Assuming the buyer has a set price in mind for a card and they factor in the shipping costs when placing a bid, what are the cons?

If a buyer will pay $100 for a card and no more, they will bid $100 with free shipping or they will bid $95 with $5 shipping.

Either way, the seller collects $100 and pays for the shipping.

In a perfect world maybe. It doesn't really work that way though. Final bid prices are determined by the competitors involved and who's bidding against each other. Has nothing to do with shipping prices.........Especially with Ebay's low bid increments.

Also..........how about the $9.95 item that gets one bid. Would have gotten one bid whether you charged for shipping or not. That's a lot of thrown away money right there.

I also sell lots of items on consignment, much of it low dollar. Free shipping often means, I just lost money on that item after I pay the consignor, just so I can save 9% on the shipping portion of my Ebay fees.

I just went back and checked my records. I paid shipping services (USPS, UPS, FedEx) over $5000 last year and I'm a small seller compared to many.

I guarantee you, I wouldn't have made that back with "higher bids" throughout the course of the year.