View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Were PIEDMONT 460 factory #42 & UZIT backs printed simultaneously ?

Craig

Thanks for your response here. Perhaps, I should have used another word rather than "simultaneously", as I now see that it can be confusing.

The front/back combo coincidence, such as is evident in the AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 and UZIT cards (350/460 series), is not applicable to my
contention here with respect to the two shades of blue backs.

Your suggestion as to the use of wavelength recognition is quite interesting. However, I have been retired for several years now; and, live far
away from my old workplace....therefore, I don't have convenient access to such instrumentation.

Anyway, under high magnification of the P460/42 and UZIT backs, I have observed certain characteristic similarities in their inks. This is most
evident in the porous appearance of the light blue backs on both these 2 brands. This effect dismisses any "fading" factor, as some have said.

Furthermore, considering that these 2 backs were printed approximately the same time in the early months (Jan. to March) of 1911, suggests
to me that it is quite possible that the same barrel of (inferior) blue ink was applied to print these lighter blue backs.

Best regards,

TED Z