View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default NEWLY Discovered Uncataloged D351 Grennan Bakery Card #3

Posted By: David Smith

Hopefully I am not beating a dead horse and taking up too much of people's time and space on the board with this issue but I wanted to say one last thing. Someting that might help new collectors or collectors who also have uncatalogued cards. Then again, maybe not. You can decide for yourself.

When I first bought the Star Player Candy cards and saw NO listing of the Myer card, I was worried because I thought it might be fake. Then, I spoke to my Mentor and he said probably not. He said the card was probably just uncatalogued. Hearing that, I became like 12 year old Sean (who posts every once in a while on this board) and started thinking about the BIG dollar value of the card. My Mentor told me to slow down with those thoughts because even though the card was uncatalogued, it didn't mean it was any more valuable than another card from the set. He proceeded to show me a couple of (then) uncatalogued cards that he owned.

He said that if the Myer card WAS valuable, that when the time came that I was going to sell it, that people would pay big dollars for it. If the card wasn't that valuable, they wouldn't. He said the value didn't matter anyways if I wasn't going to sell it because since I had only $3 dollars in the card THAT would be the most I was going to lose and since the card doesn't eat, I am not putting any more money into it that I couldn't ever get back out of it.

Once I found this board and read about other people and their collections and read about people bringing new discoveries to light, I felt much better. I saw that what my Mentor said was true and that the REAL value was in owning a card that nobody else had and then in sharing that card so others could enjoy it and talk about it.

Being that my card brought the number of cards in the set to 73, there was a discussion on this board about what that meant. How many cards were REALLY in the set?? What OTHER cards, if any, haven't been found yet?? Were the Star Player Candy football cards printed on the same sheets as the baseball cards and should they be included in the total number of cards in the set??

Bringing my card public and having people talk about it and what it meant as far as the rest of the set goes is something I can't put a monetary value on. Just the idea that I had something that nobody else had and that it caused people to stop and think and then take the time out of their day to respond on a public board was also priceless.

So, again, to everyone who reads these threads and takes the time to respond, THANK YOU!!!! You have probably made somebody's day.

David

Edited for spelling