View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 01:45 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

Welcome to the fun world of unopened box and pack collecting!!! Several suggestions...
If you are looking for super cheap but fun appearance, hop on ebay and search for "Donruss counter display." Donruss made these super cool display units that had (in some cases) about 200 packs in them. They are designed to display at an angle, so you get lots of color and good graphics. They made them from about 1985-1990 or so, and the 1988-1990 ones are super cheap. The shipping is usually more than the cost of the display, at least for 1988 and 1990. Looking at those will at least give you a good idea of what is out there.

Like other posters have suggested, troll around to your local card shops and constantly check craigslist and other such online local postings. I have bought a decent bit of wax from folks' closets that they just want to get rid of.

There are a couple of really good facebook groups out there that are specifically for vintage wax and packs. Search around and you will find them. Go back and start reading through the last several months of posts there. You will start to get a feel for the community, for what is available, and what the costs are. Then jump right in. So far I have yet to be taken advantage of, either as a buyer or as a seller.

I would also suggest that you decide on a focus initially, just to help control yourself. For instance: A run of Donruss wax boxes from 1981-1990. Or a box of every Topps baseball product in 1988- wax, cello, rack, etc. This will help you have a plan for what to look for, and will help regulate your spending. I personally am working on getting a pack, box, and case from 1986 Topps in each format that it was sold at retail- so that means wax, cello, jumbo cello, rack, and grocery rack. It has helped me have a narrow focus for my hunt, and that has made it fun.

Do a lot of research. Most of the regular, junk era wax (from about 1987-1996 or so) is easily available at 5-10 bucks a box. Don't get hosed, don't overpay, and pay very close attention to shipping. On ebay, a 1987 Topps wax box will cost you 10 bucks, and then 12-14 for shipping. At a local show, one of the dealers will likely sell you one for 5-8 bucks.

kevin