View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 07:59 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Yep, you can feel confident in those opinions, I'm sure.

The other thread shouldn't cause you any concerns.
Actually, I feel fine about it. They were lower end cards 2-4's mostly for the pre-war stuff and not a card with a value over maybe $50-75.
The OP was asking if anyone had stuff come back eot as he did and I did not.
I get the suspicions and accusations about TPG's and I know there is a huge hate for PSA here, that's fine, the evidence is out there. But, either they are all coming back not graded because they want be extra careful or they are just letting everything pass. It can't be both ways.
We can sit here and blame TPG's, auction houses, the actual card doctors, etc. But, at the end of the day, it's us, the collectors that are to blame. Our vanity for wanting to have the "best" or paying stupid amounts of money for a piece of cardboard is what has driven the hobby to this state. This has been going on, albeit not to this degree, for years prior to TPG's ever being in existence and if they ever go away it will still happen after that. It's just easier to blame someone else. As much as we maybe don't like to admit, we, as humans have a level of greed and vanity that makes us go into situations blindly.
It's funny, I have been or read in forums for years and the two pieces of advice that are given out most frequently to people new to the hobby...
1. Buy the card, not the holder
2. You shouldn't worry what the value of a card will be in X amount of years because you buy cards for the memories, the enjoyment. That's why it's called a "hobby".
Look, is this a bad situation that is going on right now...yep, it is. I'm not trying to downplay it. There needs to be and I'm sure there will be repercussions and changes. But at the end of the day it's not as important as your family, your health, etc. All I can do is be fair and honest in my dealings and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It's just not worth it.

Dammit!! Let's have some fun!