View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 10:19 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I had a chance to invite Notre Dame great and Heisman winner Johnny Lattner to be a signer at a small card show we produced at a suburban Chicago shopping mall. He showed up ahead of schedule, found me behind the table and we talked for a few minutes before I realized he had pushed a K-Mart shopping cart in with him. I looked down and in that red cart sat his Heisman Trophy that he won in 1953. I could not believe I was standing next to that iconic trophy in a red shopping cart.

I made a comment about it and he said it was really no big deal, he knew Jay Berwanger used his to prop open his door leading from his house to his garage.

A few Nationals ago in Chicago I was browsing the show floor and saw that an auction company was selling off much of the Goose Gossage collection so I stopped to take a look. It was then I realized that, sitting behind the counter was none other than Gossage himself. I patiently waited and did not disturb him and he noticed me standing there. He stood up, came around the table and happily posed for a photo with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lattner2.jpg (14.9 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg heisman.jpg (73.4 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg goose.jpg (75.1 KB, 384 views)