View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Does anyone know the rules on auctions and sales tax?
Unless you have a seller's permit or whatever they are called, you are supposed to be paying (via your federal tax return) your applicable local sales tax on all purchases you make that are from outside your home state.

Quote:
How many auction houses charge sales tax on top of the total hammer (including buyer's premium)?
All charge sales tax for the states in which they have a physical presence. For most that is just one state but in Heritage's case it is many.

Quote:
Does anyone know the amount of sales tax that is supposed to be collected?
Varies from state to state but once the most recent legislation is enforced your rate will be based on your state's sales tax rate unless you have a seller's permit thingy which makes the purchase exempt from sales tax being charged.

I am not an expert on this. I have been interested and read several threads on here repeatedly to get an understanding. I hope that I do understand it now. Again, to point out this is not a new tax structure. For many years the IRS has been asking us to report sales tax on all of our out of state purchases but since apparently nobody is doing it they are now trying to make it official by placing the burden on larger sellers to simply collect it on our behalf.