View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default altered? - what are your thoughts?

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

Correct, cards 1 & 2 are both altered with rebuilt stock on trimmed edges.

Here are two different cards from the very same set. Both are appropriately graded as Authentic.

These card have been trimmed, some on more than one edge. The pictures below show an edge lip that were probably caused in the card doctoring process. As a comparison, I trimmed a couple cards with two different devices and pressed especially hard to exaggerate the raised lip. This is caused when a straight edge used as a guide is pressed firmly on the opposite side as the cutting utensil is drawn across. The pressure from that straight edge creates the raised edge. * Note - this is yet another objective sign to look for when examining a card suspected of being trimmed.

The e90-1's both have a faint but very clear raised lips (very distinct under a halogen light) in addition to an obviously trimmed edge. The slightly lighter toned edge (which can't be seen) would indicate the trim job was done fairly recently (my theory).

The raised edge would lead one to believe that this was done intentionally by someone with experience in an attempt to improve the look of the card...presumably to get a higher grade and are just a few of several.

My humble opinion is that this is not the work of an old collector who trimmed cards so they would fit into an album or for aesthetics, these are trim jobs gone bad.

Card #3 - a trimmed edge with a reverse side raised edge compared to an exaggerated trimmed edge

Card #4 - another but better example of a trimmed edge with objective findings. Again an exaggerated trimmed card is shown below it.

What are your collective thoughts so far?

Kevin Saucier