View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reviewing the T206 150-only subjects with a "twist"....And, let's see some cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Ted, I have no reason for this, but I've always thought that the printers made a mistake by including Plank in the 350 series. When the mistake was caught, they stopped printing the card. Just a guess on my part.

Hi Sean

It may have been a mistake why ALC continued printing Plank with the SWEET CAPORAL, Factory #30 backs....or, perhaps it was deliberate.

Plank was probably the most popular southpaw pitcher by 1910 (the 10th year of his career). He had Won over 200 games by that time. So,
perhaps ALC intended to keep issuing Plank's card. Despite Plank's objections to tobacco.

Note that his 350 card was shipped only to Factory #30 (NY). Factory #30 produced Tobacco products shipped to New York and New England.
Therefore, Plank's card would normally NOT have been found in SWEET CAP cigarette packs in the greater Philadelphia area.

This may sound like one of my "wild imagination" speculations. However, an American Lithographic ledger sheet (circa 1910) has been found
with instructions to the effect......"this package of SWEET CAPORAL cards are not be shipped to Philadelphia".

A Net54 member posted this ledger sheet some years ago. I cannot find it. Hopefully, he reads this thread and posts it again.

TED Z

T206 Reference