Thread: Moral Quandary
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
I'm going to disagree with most of the posters so far (although I just read that Leon is doing the same).
Whenever faced with a tough decision, I ask myself what would I teach my young children to do in a similar situation. In this case, the decision suddenly becomes easy. The bat has meaning, perhaps even deep meaning, to the collector, but has an even more powerful emotional tie to the family. The collector will in the long run be far richer (and I don't mean financially) by seeing to it that the bat gets to the family.
Here's one more criteria you can use -- something I picked up from one of my favorite authors years ago and has served me well over the years. Whenever faced with a tough decision, invariably the tougher choice is the right choice.
In this case the easiest thing to do would be to keep the bat and forget about it -- the tougher choice for the collector is giving up the bat, but it's the right choice.

Greg
I am more inclined to think along these lines as well. I know if my dad played minor league ball and he didnt have any saved items from that time in his life and a bat from his playing days showed up on the internet, I would do all I can to obtain that item. I am sure the emotional attachment to that bat is far greater to the family than it is to the collector. I totally understand how a collector would want to keep this item in their collection but if it was me, I would make the bat available to the family provided they could show me evidence that the bat is indeed once used by their family member.

As to Leons post about not feeling bad for not making this item available to the family, I fully agree since the bat is yours and you can do what you will with it....but if its me the family would be owning it for the cost I paid for it!!