View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 08:25 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
+1...I used to have the 21 herpolsheimer cobb...and the t207 red cross lowdy...and the m101-6 ruth(yankees)...all rare cards...all I sold before their time...except for lowdy of which I do not believe will ever be the right time!!!! A good example of a card too rare for its own good. Also recently inquired about the 53-55 howard photo willie mays...a rare...early willie mays card...of which there are 6 on the pop reports...very little info and interest.
I hear you Pete. I've got a '21 Herpolsheimer McGraw myself, and know there are other Net54 members with various other players from that set as well that have them sitting in their collections and are not looking to sell them any time soon. They are all 1 of 1s, but not that valuable as the set is impossible to complete and they rarely, if ever, come up for sale.

The other cards you mentioned are all amazing as well. As with everything else, the value is always going to be dependent on supply and demand. Even if a super rare card comes up for sale/auction, if there aren't at least two seriously interested parties going after it, chances are it won't go for what it may really be worth. And because some of these issues are so tough and rare, collectors aren't actively watching for them like they may be other things they more commonly collect. And thus it is even more possible that you don't get all the potentially interested bidders involved, and the item goes for less than it otherwise should/would.