View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcountry View Post
Sometimes when I really want to win a card, I will bid high right at the start in hopes of discouraging others from getting in on it. Idk if it works, but I’ve done it, even with pwcc. In fact, one time I bid so high with my first bid that the auction house (not an eBay seller) called and asked if I made a mistake. Lol.

Jeff
I've done this with an AH that allows bidding to jump to specific levels. IMO there are certain price points that if you occupy that level it can discourage additional bidding. I've found that to be especially true when the bid increments change as the price goes up. I am not sure how well that works with eBay since you can't jump levels. Besides, I just get too annoyed watching the weevils bore away at my maximum price if I go all-in on eBay with an early bid. I'd rather snipe what I want to spend and take my chances. FWIW, I would never leave a scorched earth bid with PWCC, even on a snipe, due to all of the shilling allegations and activity reported on this and other boards.

Oh, and just so I won't get criticized for not condemning shilling: shilling sucks and shill bidders should be castrated with dull butter knives dipped in battery acid.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...