View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Our stories mirror each other a little bit. I found collecting again in approximately late 1996 and joined ebay in 1999, after collecting as a kid in the late 60s and early 70s. I knew it would change the landscape and it has. Good, bad or indifferent it has changed things. Overall I think it has greatly helped the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark evans View Post
I discovered eBay in 1998 and reinstituted collecting sports cards which I had done as a kid in the 60s. The shift from the auction format to BINs makes eBay less enticing to me as a collector.

I figure I have purchased roughly 500 items since I joined in 1998. The vast majority were won in auctions prior to the shift to the BIN format. Speaking strictly as a collector and without criticism of sellers/consignors, the auction prices to me represent fair market value, as opposed to typically higher priced BINs. And, just as important to me, the auctions were a lot more fun than the current system.

I wonder if it would benefit any seller to list (some of) his items with either opening bid or reserve set 5 or 10% below VCP values. If eBay rules permit, could add a BIN as well effective until first bid. If a dopey idea, so be it. Little effect on me regardless, as tough to feed the collecting habit on a gov't pension.