View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Curt

I'm sure this has been discussed in detail, but there are some positives to doing this, along with the obvious negatives. Assuming it is a real jersey, the number one plus is it can give the average budget collector a chance at getting a piece of history. Of course, once it is pulled, then you have to have the big bucks to buy the premium pieces, but nothing near what a full uniform would cost.

I have what I would considered at this point to be a small collection of GU cards. Aside from the handful I have pulled from packs, I bought a number of them (usually fairly cheaply) of favorite or better players, mostly Dodgers or stars, at one time trying to get as many unique players as I could. This was not a primary goal, so I never got too far on the project.

Except for a few cooler looking pieces and my Garveys, which are part of the large collection, I don't really hold them in high regard. They have become so commonplace that many can't help but question their authenticity yet the more unique the object (especially premium items like patches, barrels, buttons) and uncommon players from the old days bring big money from collectors who are going after those bragging rights to have the only (or one of a half dozen or less) McGraw button card or similar.

To each their own I guess, but I would never shell out that kind of money for a button, regardless of who's uniform it came from.