View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Hi Kevin....Joe T. Do you know the release date for the Type 2 Street Clorhes Wagner? Curious to know if it was issued before the end of 1902 or in 1903. Thx Kevin!
Hey Joe - You would have to assume that the type 2s of Wagner were produced at the same time as all of the other original type 2s, which was in November of 1902. AFAIK, there is no way to know when the SL ran out of type 1 Wagners and began shipping the type 2s.

Other type 2 players, such as Mathewson, can be more definitively dated. Mathewson was not offered by the SL until January 31, 1903, so his card obviously would not date from 1902.

The way that I was able to date the four different mounts was by studying when each of the HOFers was first offered by the SL in their newspaper and then comparing that with what the mounts were known for the cabinets that exist of that player. For example, Brown was first offered in their October 1, 1904 issues. AFAIK, Brown is only known with a type 4 mount. On the other hand, Bresnahan and Burkett was first offered in their September 26, 1903 issue and are both known with type 3 mounts.

I went through and did the same thing with all 37 HOFers that appear in the set and created a matrix based on when they were first offered and what mounts are known to exist. In addition, I have done the same with lots of "common" players as well. So far, I have not found a single card that falls outside of the date range that I originally posted.