View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Default M101 Sporting news help

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

m101-5 was issued in 1916. Players did not "jump" to the Federal League so as to require the printing presses to be re-set. The movement to the Federal League took place, for the most part, in 1914. Thus, if TSN was printing cards in 1915, the m101-5s would have federal league teams designated on some of the cards, yet not one card from the set has such designation.
As Andy noted, many players are designated on teams for which they did not play prior to 1916. Edd Roush is one example--a Giant. Kauff too. Finally, Germany Schaefer is listed as a Yankee (New York Amer., actually), and was not acquired by that team until February 10, 1916. He is part of the m101-5 set only, and therefore cannot be said to be some sort of update to a set initially issued in 1915.

Tom, have to disagree with you on the fake/reprint issue too. I have yet to see a card with the extra space on anything other than a blank back. One would expect at least one card with this extra space to have the TSN ad on the back. Also,I have handled a few of these, and can tell that they're not real--for one thing, the stock is thinner. If you want to buy 'em on the theory that they are some sort of early print run that was later corrected/changed, be my guest, but I run away from these as fast as my fat boiler can carry me.