View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 10:54 AM
James M.

A lively discussion and debate for sure. From a collecting standpoint, I find Mathewson slightly more interesting. The Mystique and aura around him is hard to beat. Both were fine pitchers in their day, but I believe Johnson gets the edge. More dominant for a longer stretch of time.

Now, on the subject of the debate concerning Johnson's fastball or quite frankly the athletic ability of anyone playing any sport back in those days; Just like when studying history, when looking at this issue we have to compare them relative to their peers. However fast the "Big Train" was throwing, it certainly does not compare to how fast Gerrit Cole tops out on the gun.

But Johnson pitched in a different time. He was arguably the best, of his era. Whatever his fastball measured at, was probably the fastest at that time. And adding that context he's arguably the best. All of these players from back in the day didn't have the strict diets, access to modern medicine, training and equipment. They worked jobs in the offseason, took trains with sleeper cars across the country to pay games. All things that the pampered athletes of today couldn't even dream of.

I'll say this much, in my rankings, Johnson is certainly up there as one of the greatest pitchers of all time, I would only ever consider putting Satchel Paige above him.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.