View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Over a long time without much budget, there are so many that got away.

Orr usa test rookie, in really nice shape. it was in my local dealers "special" binder, actually special stuff that they weren't actively selling sort of a maybe available collection. Anyway, it was $100, which at the time seemed crazy because hockey hadn't taken off, and a hundred would have bought pretty much an entire decades worth of sets, maybe more.

T206 Drum - maybe vg Saw it at the shriners, but it was at like the third table, and while I had the money it was all I'd brought. So buying it would have meant about a 10 minute stop at the show.

1950? Topps felt back football cards. A whole small boxful of them, maybe a couple hundred? I think $60. Again, before anything but baseball was all that expensive. But I didn't know anything about them, and they were interesting but tiny, and all college players, and being the dunce I am sometimes I passed.

Of course there's a boatload of stuff I could have tried to find back then and done really well with, 52 Mantles were under a thousand, and some other big money cards were no big deal.