View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Mike H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Yes, I do see a difference between cutting up a jersey and parting out the ticket book. I also see a difference between the ticket book and splitting up a trophy collection. To me, the ticket book is somewhere in the middle.

Part of the attraction to me of items like this is the wonder I feel that the tickets were not torn out of the books back in the day, and have survived intact to the present day despite the original intent of their manufacture being to have been torn out of the book and used by attendees of the games. It's the same feeling I would have about an unopened pack of 1952 Topps cards, action figures still in their original package, a case of vintage baseballs sealed in their original boxes, etc etc etc. Would any of those things be enjoyable out of their original packaging or if they had been used as intended by their respective manufacturers? Sure. But to me, there is a certain mystique that comes with something that was once meant to be used and thrown away surviving for over 100 years completely intact and unaltered from its original state.

You are clearly taking the stance that the more people that can enjoy something the better, which is a valid viewpoint, but doesn't diminish the sadness that those who would prefer to see the item intact feel when they hear of it being broken up like this. To some, knowing that a bit of history exists wholly intact, whether it's in our own collection or not, is more satisfying than owning a piece of it.
Good points Lance. Wow...we got a lot of mileage out of this post didn't we