View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I also wonder what is going to happen as boomers age out of the hobby. Will the remaining 20 - 50-somethings dump a ton of money into pre 1940s autographs of players known primarily to die-hards? Or do they focus on the more recent household names. (Ruth and Cobb being notable exceptions.)

The "completist" collecting mindset of the boomers has not carried over to the younger collectors (in general.) This is not a good sign for the more obscure names, in my opinion.
Couldn't agree with this more. As I look at my collection now, I think "Why?" I landed a whale this year with the Ruth Check; where do I go from here? I can show Babe Ruth to my friends and they are impressed -- heck, even my wife knows him. But as I look at the HOFers I don't have but could afford, does Home Run Baker thrill me? Why would I try so hard for Sam Rice or save up for Hughie Jennings? Does anyone really care? I just got a nice ball with an Ed Walsh. So I check him off the list, put a photo on here, and he goes on the shelf. Why didn't I put that money into my retirement beach house fund or something??

I have around 500 different Negro League single-signed baseballs. Collectors right now are saying "Wow!" But do any of you want to see them all? After a couple guys with really cool stories, maybe a few true rarities, and of course Satchell Paige, you're just going to wander away.

I've hit a point where my Stuff is becoming, well, just stuff.

Ken