View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 04:39 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Pete Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidonCollects View Post
I am personally against Pete Rose, and him ever being entered back into the hall.

Let me tell you a story told to me by a former ML baseball player: (this was probably in the 1990's)

We had just finished a Players' Association meeting, and I was sitting at a table in a restaurant with Yogi (Berra), Juan (Marichal) and some shortstop from St. Louis. We could hear a conversation on the table next to us. A small girl, maybe 7-8 years old asked one of the players on the table to sign her cap. The player angrily denied "I'm busy," but said the girl could have the signature for $60. She ran away crying to her family. From Yogi and Marichal's table we could hear what happened, we went over to the girl and asked to borrow her cap, then we marched over to the player. We put the cap in front of him, and demanded "now sign it, or there'll be trouble."

The player was Rose.... obviously.

Good ol' Pete
This doesn't sound like the Rose I have heard about or experienced. He was very gracious to me on three different occasions. The final time I met with him at a breakfast meeting that he was a guest speaker for. At the end of the meeting, he signed balls for everyone in attendance. When I approached him, he signed two balls for my sons, and then reached behind the table and pulled out two bats that he signed for them as well.