View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

I disagree with David in that if something is forged 90% of the time, like a Babe Ruth signature (which I have come to understand is a roughly accurate number) and the people that we most often go to to get our opinions aren't doing the hobby justice (crooked?), then how can this be a healthy collectibles area and how can there be buyer confidence down the line?

If you know what you are doing, you should be safe, but how will you convince someone down the road that you differ in the education you have had in coming to the conclusion that it's authentic that differs from all the rest of the crooks?

You also won't convince anyone that there is just as much fraud in cards as autographs. Trimming, sure, some and overgrading, yes, but an overgraded card still has value, as a forgery has none.

As far as the question at hand: I used to have great joy in waiting in autograph lines to obtain my signatures in person, but today, the prices, attitudes and even mentioned here, the look of the signatures mean little to me. My heroes are dead and if I had a choice between a Ruth signature and a Ruth 1933 Goudey (equal value), I would go for the card.

Regards,

Larry