View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Default Jeter and Today's baseball

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Rhys,

It seems like you have the ability to cling to a belief in spite of evidence that it is false, so I'm sure you'll find a way to disagree with me, but...

Derek Jeter has 147 hits in 467 postseason at bats. According to my screwy calculator math, that means a .315 batting average. According to your dead accurate anti-Jeter math, he's hitting .306.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Why let the numbers get in the way of your belief in a particular statistic, right?

Also, Jeter has 2,150 hits in 6,790 career at-bats. Again, I'm not smart enough to use your complex anti-Jeter math formula, so all I can do is divide the number of hits by the number of at-bats. This is why I am left with my obviously inaccurate belief that Jeter has a .317 career batting average.

I would think there are many Red Sox fans that would give you the Nobel Prize for Mathematics if you could figure out a way to apply your new formula to winning percentages thus allowing the Red Sox to make the playoffs in spite of having fewer wins and more losses than the Yankees.

Care to enlighten us with the magic formula?

-Ryan