View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Default How to get ripped off by SCP Auctions & Sotheby's

Posted By: Solomon Cramer

A general note on negotiating a refund/adjustment request.

I have generally found, both as buyer and seller, that requesting a full return/refund gives you more credibility. You're asking to reverse the transaction, be made "whole", and receive no benefit to the situation.

I have often felt, as a seller, that when someone begins by asking for an adjustment, they are trying to renegotiate the price after the fact. I usually offered to take the item back for a full refund.

Reading this thread, it sounds like Ryan still wants the item - he even asked if he'd have to return it if legal action was taken - but he wants to pay less. I understand his reasoning as a collector, and I think he is entitled to consideration from what he's presented.

But from a seller's perspective, it can appear that he's trying to get a better deal on an item he doesn't want to return. Assuming there is nothing unknown, if he had contacted me in a reasonable amount of time after the end of the auction, my tendency would be to offer a full refund but not an adjustment, and let him make the decision if he wanted to keep the item.

I had a similar case in my current business. I sold someone three F150 King Ranch, and he sent a truck to pick them up. When he got them, he said there was some undisclosed damage on them, and wanted an adjustment (about $3000 I think). I told him I'd pick them up (about 600 miles away) and give him a full refund. He refused...it was clear he'd already sold them, and was looking for a way to steal a few extra bucks. Again I recognize that Ryan isn't looking to profit from this, but in this industry where the line between collector and dealer is at best a faint one, the auction house may not make a distinction.

FWIW, I never had any problems with SCP or Dave Kohler, though I had a more personal relationship with them when Kevin Struss was there 5+ years ago.