View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
This makes a lot of sense for eBay. The main way I get contact information from my buyers is through the paypal transaction. If eBay is handling the payment process, you will only know the address and the name of the buyer but not email and phone information.

If eBay isn't too greedy, it could help sellers by charging less than paypal for payment processing. I guess this is wishful thinking.

Jeff
A new in house payment processing system will certainly help ebay with sellers obtaining their new customers contact info. However, over half of my transactions as a seller are with existing customers, so, if I chose to do so, I would be able to contact all but my "new" customers once this new system is in place.

Also, many sellers already send out their "off-ebay" contact info with each order they mail out....they advertise their contact info and/or their off-ebay (fee free) site as well as encourage off-ebay contact for better pricing than can be offered on ebay. This will always be impossible for ebay to police.

I think the main reason that ebay is doing this is for the fees that they will soon collect....for many years, paypal greatly lifted eBay's profit, so now they want a slice of that profit again without the paypal overhead. The 30 cent transaction fee that is charged on each payment is 100% profit on each payment received. I received almost 1000 payments last month, $300 straight profit for paypal.