View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Brand new to board, sharing my 1933 Goudey set pursuit and other hobby interests

Good morning all,

I randomly came across this board when looking for a forum/site that might have info/ideas on collecting a complete 1933 Goudey Set. I've got to say, the stories and topics and info in just the first few pages on this board are awesome! As much as the '33 Goudeys are my favorite set (and the only one I collect) I love reading about the T206s and the Cracker Jack sets and all the cool variations. Some of you have such incredible examples, it always makes me come back and read your info. Very Cool Stuff!

So, I started collecting Goudey's about 14-15 years ago. My interest was started when a friend of mine brought in to work a cool auction house catalogue I had never heard of before. It was a MastroNet Auction catalogue. On the cover, displayed very neatly were the 1933 Goudeys with the #1 card Benny Bengough front and center. I'm not sure what it was, but that bright fire red back ground and the cool imagery sparked something with me. I looked for weeks on eBay at all the '33s out there and finally got the balls to order one......#148 Eddie Ferrell. And from there I was hooked.

14 years later and I'm 170 cards in and slowly moving towards 239. My set consists of a mix of ungraded and slabbed cards (I remove them from the slabs so they can be displayed together). I'd say visually, they present as EX+ - EX-NM although most have small imperfections that would prevent them from being graded professionally that high (stain on the back, off center etc.) But I do require the front to be in visually pleasing condition (no wrinkles) and 4 above average corners. So far so good!

Now the reason I was searching for Goudey info was because I was looking for ideas on how to display these cards. That's a pretty big set to have spread out all over a counter or framed on the wall. Right now I have each card in snap-tite case and I've placed them in old period cigar boxes. They are in two rows with my nice HOF'ers at the front and the lesser cards filling in behind. I think I have either 5 or 6 boxes that are almost completely full and I have them sitting in a antique 3 door glass case in my living room with other old Detroit Tiger, Detroit Lion and Michigan State items (bobble heads, tickets, programs etc......) I get compliments on the cards but placing them in the cigar boxes limits their visual appeal, if that makes sense.

I'll share pics of this display and lots of the other items I have framed that decorate my house, just need time to take those pics. I'm a recent bachelor and my new house was built in 1842, so old Tiger/Ty Cobb items seem to work will with the age and history of my house.

Anyway, looking for ideas on displaying a set or a portion of a set......and please keep sharing your memorabilia items also.....my memorabilia collection is much more extensive and old/rare than my Goudeys. Thanks for listening to my long winded story, much appreciated!

-shackmsu