View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 01:49 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
I pitched a similar idea to eBay about 6 months ago in a 15 minute PowerPoint presentation when I was interviewing for a Category Manager job in sports cards.

They understand the potential but are not really interested in competing against their biggest sellers like Probstein.
I had a phone interview with a recruiter at ebay a while back for a data science role in the collectibles space, but I didn't follow through with it. I have several friends that work there as well as some who previously worked there. They were primarily interested in building a price prediction model at the time, which they've since launched, somewhat anyhow. Part of that effort required the need for better categorization of cards, which is why they now require things like graded vs raw, technical grade, set and year, player name, etc. It would be easy to build something useful and robust for vintage, but ultra modern cards make it a real nightmare with all the variations and more colors than the rainbow by an order of magnitude. I didn't have to sign an NDA, but I probably would have if I decided to pursue the role and interviewed on site.