View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
May seem odd to post this in a "winnings" thread but it might be fun to see comments from people who actually "regret" a win. What I mean is when you bid early and seemingly low--presuming someone will outbid you but you'll have a chance to jump back in--but your bid holds up, and holds up, right to the end. Along the way you may wish you didn't have that money tied up there, or you look at the card or VCP or something else and now feel your bid doesn't look so "low" --and you pray for someone to top you near the end so you can rush and bid on something else....

Last night, for example, I happily lost a couple cards on late bids (both had come to look like bad ideas, especially one with a back issue I hadn't noticed) and so was able to bid and win something else. Also, I bid early on a swell Evers e95 SGC 80, at a well-under-VCP price, because as a type collector I had been looking for a nice e95. After bidding, however, I unexpectedly happened to win elsewhere another HOFer--at SGC 84. So: even at good price, I now had little interested in the Evers. Of course, I ended up winning it last night. No tragedy to be sure (given the price) but if anyone would like it now, let me know!

I was in very early for my "marker" bids. However, a couple of weeks ago, on a Friday, I was looking as the 46/49 leaf short prints and put in a $6500 bid.

I have every intention of building that set one day but I have a bunch of priorities in front of it. After about a week, I was still showing high bidder and was rehearsing my speech to my wife - we well as contemplating breaking them
up and selling individually to get my money back - knowing full well that I would regret it when it came time to build the set.

Eventually the outbid notice came and the price soared to 14k before BP so it wasn't even close but I have to find the disable bid button when the wine is flowing for future reference.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set