View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 04:38 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
And although my dear friend Mark has about a gazillion autographs, I have a hunch on what his favorite is going to be. It also happens to be displayed in a terrific piece of folk art as well.

Jimmy,
I'm not sure I have a gazillion. I may have to count again.
My 2 favorites fall in to 2 categories.

First is my favorite item from a "collecting" standpoint.
Lou Gehrig sig in hand made frame. As Jimmy said Folk art as well as baseball. You can see from the matting, it is handmade.

From a personal standpoint it's this.

These are two matchbooks from Bookbinders restaurant in Philly. They are signed by Warren Spahn.
In the early 80's, he appeared at a card show at the Bethlehem hotel. On Sat night after the show Mr. Spahn wanted to go to a nice dinner. He decided he wanted to go to Bookbinders. Two of the men organizing the show, Al Wexler and Dale Deibert were going to accompany/drive him down to Philly.. Somehow, this 16 year old kid was also sent along.
During the hour long drive and dinner, he was absolutely fantastic to be with. He told stories and was super funny.
When we got to the restaurant it was packed. The three of us discussed what we would do if we couldn't get a table.
Well it wasn't an issue.
We walked in the door and the Maitre'd yelled out across the din Mr Spahn, Mr Spahn. How are you? Do you want a table? Mr Spahn answered Yes, and called his name, though I don't remember it now.
We walked right past everybody waiting, probably 20-30 people, and were seated immediately. All the while, the Matre'd was telling him how long it had been since he had visited and how happy he was to see him again. Mr Spahn returned the niceties in kind.
It was a fantastic evening. The food was great, although I admit to not remembering what I ate. I was so in awe of sitting and talking with him that a lot of the details are a blur.
On the way out, I picked up a couple of matchbooks which he signed for me as a memento.
It was certainly one of the best experiences of my collecting life.
RIP Mr Spahn.
Great Spahn auto.I know Al.He told me that story.Great story!I still deal with
Al.He has alot of great stories!!!!