View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 12:37 PM

Default Lummis peanut butter / felin's franks discussion

Marc---

I'm certain you are correct that the Felin's came into the hobby in the 80's. Rob Lifson may very well have discussed that in one of his then-yearly auction catalog. He is usually wise to try to include that type of hobby provenance and history in his listings. Of a certainty the cards were intended to be released. Obviously, they were produced by Milprint of Wisconsin, the same firm that did the baseball trading card promotions for Glendale, Stahl-Meyer, Briggs, Hunter Wieners, and the Peter's Meats 1961 Minnesota Twins. Also, the three-year run of Johnston Cookies Milwaukee Braves.

At this point in time, we only have the best that conjecture can offer, as to why Felin's never followed through with their Phillies trading card promotion.

As for Lummis, "I know KNOT-TING", as dear Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes would say. Except, an interesting observation given to me at one of the early major shows I attended in about 1973. I believe it was at the big one in Detroit. One of the prime dealers I loved to purchase cards from was Philadelphia resident Irv Lerner. At that time, Irv Lerner was first and foremost a collector. Among the major items on his advanced, high-powered radar were Lummis Peanut Butter cards. He told me that even in a massive convention as this one in Detroit, he seriously doubted he would encounter a Lummis anywhere in that large room. As a teen who appreciated fine postwar regional issues, that left a lasting impression on me. Whether or not he wound up getting one for his substantial collection that weekend, he never said anything, so I imagine his Lummis hunting efforts came up empty.

While I never was fortunate enough to get a Lummis card, I view them with an utmost admiration. Also, I lament no one in the adult hobby back then sought to write meaningfully about them, but then you'd have to find a former youngster who avidly collected them in 1949 to interview. Such a person might be tougher to locate than an actual Lummis card! It was probably a low-key one shot promotion to boost sales of a peanut butter that already was enjoying robust sales. Besides, the backside of your Lummis cards does not even mention the card promotion; rather, the main promotion in the company's eyes---how to win free tickets to a Philadelphia Phillies game.

Best regards, Marc. Must go. ---Brian Powell