View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Joe Doyle "printer's mark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Ted, does this indicate that the backs were not printed consecutively, but rather in a more random fashion? If only 10 % of Piedmonts bear this mark, then the plate must have been corrected after the first 10% were printed. But if a few Sweet Caporals and Old Mills have the mark, then they would have been printed after the 10% of the Piedmonts, but before the 90% that don't have the mark.

So the printers didn't just print all Piedmonts, then all Sweet Caporals, the all Old Mills, etc.?
Sean

I'm not quite sure I understand your question here. But, I'll say this.....my research indicates that through-out the printing of the various series, American Litho (ALC) printed
the PIEDMONT backs first (since it was the "flagship brand" of ATC). Followed by SWEET CAPORAL, then the other brands as requests to ALC arrived from the various Tobacco
Factories. From my survey data, it appears that the EPDG, SOVEREIGN, and Tolstoi backs were printed after the printer's mark was completely cleaned off the printing plate.

I found my updated Joe Doyle "printer's mark" survey; and, I will include it in my next post.

TED Z

T206 Reference