View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 02:03 AM
Nick Pascal

Default What are some good resources to learn about detecting fakes/reprints?

Being new(er) to vintage and a natural born skeptic, I've found myself doing a lot of research on how to detect fakes/forgeries/reprints/alterations. I enjoy gaining as much knowledge as possible about things I'm getting in to, so I've been having a great time browsing through old posts and the archives trying to pick up any little thing I can.

So far, I've looked through the counterfeit sections in the Archives, and I've also gone through Cycleback's site, picking up a bunch of great info along the way. I also understand that it gets easier to detect things with experience that will come down the line. I plan to scoop up some cheap graded commons and check them out with my loup and blacklight to familiarize myself with things to look for.

So, other than what's already been mentioned, what resources would you recommend to "wisen" someone up? Are there any great guides out there that you feel are can't miss? Any little tips you've picked up along the way?

Anyways, thanks for listening to me ramble. I hope this can generate some decent resources/discussion to not only help me, but also others who are somewhat new to vintage, or even people that just stumble in to our lovely little corner of the internet.