View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

I collect a bit of everything. I don't know that there's a term for what I do. I like to get a card of a type I didn't have before, but I also enjoy getting a card that fits a set I already have a few of. So not really a type collector or set collector. I also don't have any players that I collect in particular, so not a player collector either.

I think the advice of collecting what you like is excellent. If you like the stuff, that isn't prone to much change, unlike prices or if a set is popular.

One thing to remember is that for nearly all prewar sets any method of collecting is to steal a phrase I heard here first "more of a marathon than a sprint" Especially with a budget that's got limits.

Lately I've really enjoyed making album pages for a few items that I've picked up that are special in some way. Like a photo of a 1930's racing plane that once I learned about its history I realized I could narrow down the picture to probably the exact day it as taken. It wasn't an expensive item by any stretch, somewhere under $10 as part of a group. Adding the writeup makes it a lot more interesting.

Maybe picking up a card here and there from any of those sets and making a small binder or group of pages to go along with it that has some information about the player and his career and maybe post career life?