View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdman65 View Post
You are correct. The post sounds contradictory. It was typed quickly as I just wanted to use another photo to present. I had been looking for a similar card to mine that I hold for a very long time.....with no luck at all. Even of a different player....but same format. Frustrated, I learned of this board and within one day, I had my first description with photo of identical card and explanation where it may have originated from. My question was answered I am happy with that alone. Of course, my "quest" will not be conducted on this board but rather in the hands of an expert.

My card is not for sale (either because it is worthless and will be tossed or because there are not that many to which I would keep it).... and I am not pushing it on the board. So lets go back to the original question. You presented a card like mine. Same script/blank back/hand cut/ and even hint of an original red border as I have on mine. I am looking for others like these. So far you have the only one to refer to. My card continually is getting compared to yours. Does that alone set "the standard"? How about other fakes? Lets look at them. I haven't seen any of those either. Why are there none for sale as originals. Maybe I have the only fake one? Is it possible to get a bunch of pics of these together (authentic and fakes)? Someone even posted that they have seen other versions of this card. Where can I view a couple of them? Am I missing a site where these exact cards are listed? Maybe several different cards real and fake would explain the different print flaws.

Please do not take offence to any of the above by the way it is worded. I just think they are legitimate questions. Too many boards get chippy, sarcastic, and personal. I appreciate you and all others taking the time to post. So far, you have the ONLY one that compares.....so I take the conversation to you. And, again, your theory actually does shed light on the original question.....where did this style of card originate? But before I get to Chi town, I would like to see others. There have been a lot of opinions regarding my somewhat crappy scan. So to those people, please post links to other blank back versions.

I am still up for criticism. I can take it! I did not pay much for it and it will not change my life one bit either way. This is actually more interesting than I imagined it would be
Honestly, I don't think your scans are crappy. In particular, your second one. I think that's just how your card looks...the scan is just fine. The card, to me, just has the appearance of one that was printed off a laser printer.

To answer your main question on why other fake examples aren't available, it's pretty simple - this card is just simply too obscure and wouldn't have been reprinted all that often. While reprints of this card are certainly possible, we're talking about a card where there are maybe 3-5 examples known total. Generally speaking, that's not really the sort of card that gets reprinted all that often.

To be clear, this card is NOT an e95 and it's not one of the 1913 Notebook cards. These script-styled Cobbs are entirely different from those two issues altogether and are thusly NOT considered "variations" of those sets. These Cobbs, with the script styled captions at the top of the photo, do have two different variations though, a blank backed variation and an advertisement variation that we DO know the origins for, which was explained up above a bit. We're not exactly sure where the blank backed versions come from. Of the two variations, I think I'm aware of two examples of each that our out there and no more. So I believe that's the answer to your other collection of why you can't find a lot of photos out there.

So yes, I'd still advise to have it checked out by a professional. I would also say, however, that there are plenty of experts on this board. And to be honest, I personally feel that I don't really need to see your card in person to assess whether it's real or not. The scan will suffice in my opinion and I think others would agree with that. But definitely do your due diligence on the card and I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.

Last edited by shammus; 11-02-2015 at 06:56 PM.