View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Jeff

Default Good luck

Great idea and I hope it works out for you. My father and I have been collecting seriously since an early-80's National in Chicago. We have greatly enjoyed the time spent together. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even though Dad is 90 now and has not gone to a show in years, he still enjoys the new acquisitions I bring over on our weekly Sunday night visits. He gets as excited about finishing a set as I do.
When my sons were born in the late 80's, Dad and I began taking them to card shows beginning at 6 months to have their picture taken with the show autograph guests (before the extra fees for pictures and personalizations). When they got older, they did show an interest in playing and watching baseball and had favorite players, mostly on Chicago teams.
They were shown the cards that Dad and I purchased and our appreciation for them, but they were more interested in their era. Luckily, they had players like Michael Jordan (I know, not baseball, but who could resist collecting MJ?), Frank Thomas, and Ryne Sandberg in town to get excited about. When we went to shows, they were given some money and they negotiated their own deals with dealers - a good early life lesson. They also learned how to manage money - buy 10 $1 cards or one $10 card.
They were also given cards, some old and some new, for birthdays and Christmas. I thought the foundation was set for us to share many memories going to card shows together. Not quite.
Now they are 22 and 21 and are still interested in my purchases but do not have any interest in collecting themselves. Perhaps after they have started their careers and have kids of their own, they will get back into it. Now, the boys' cards are collecting nothing but dust.