View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Brian T.

Interesting question. I would first get him interested in the game of baseball and help him understand it reasonably well. I would imagine that it is much easier for him to gain an appreciation for the game and its players if he sees the game and understands it. That will lead him to want to cheer for a team / individual players. That is your entre into baseball cards. As he gains an interest in having low-end Topps cards, you can show him some cards of players that you watched and cheered for growing up. I think he would naturally appreciate that - especially if you can share some stories about them to make the retired players more real to him. That can lead to stories that grandpa and/or other people saw (and their cards). Ultimately, it turns into great players that we didn't get a chance to see play, but we can learn about them / appreciate them anyway. This is not an overnight proposition. First comes the interest in the game. Otherwise, you may as well show him pictures of great cricket players from 100 years ago.