Thread: Heritage Wins?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
My point was specific to the wagner. T206 built up the "brand" of Honus Wagner. PSA has a population report of 34 Total T206 Wagners. There are 35 PSA E98 Wagners from BSF.

I'm not saying you'll ever see Multi-Million dollar E98s. I'm just saying they are nearly as "rare" even though the availability of them right now seems so much higher.

Absolutely agree you'll see a lot of speculation for the foreseeable few years, but eventaully these Cards will settle into a "forever home" as mine has. And the BSF story to me makes these cards "interesting" from a collectors stanpoint, they have a story, a history.

The combination of the Wagner brand name, the relative scarcity, and the intrigue of the story... In my opinion form a dynamic that in 20+ years could make these cards somewhat-similarly sought after.

As for me though, I bought this to be my newborn Son's first baseball card. I don't anticipate it leaving my family until I die, and then he can decide if he wants to pass it down, or sell it. To me, it's just a good thing to help him eventually learn the history of the hobby/baseball.
Congrats on a very nice pickup, but your second to last statement is a pipe dream IMO. No card will ever have the mystique of the T206 Wagner. If there is, the only card that I think ever has a chance is the Baltimore News Ruth. There are rarer Honus Wagner cards than the T206 and yet the T206 still commands 10-50X the price of those others.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 02-26-2014 at 09:32 AM.