View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
I don't follow that Ryan card, but it look top grade to me. Lots of talk about graders being greased and buyers buying flips...anyone have opinions on why that card is not one of the best graded?
Well it's really hard to tell what is the best without seeing many of the other Ryan rookies that graded 9.

But for me personally there are several issues that are bothersome. First, the subjectivity of grading in itself that could change the value of the card by $375,000 is disturbing. The corners of that card on both sides better be perfect under 10X magnification. It's a safe guess that they are not otherwise they would have received a PSA 10 grade the first time submitted.

Then there's the Mint vs. Gem Mint debate. If one is going to differentiate different mint cards as some being better than others, then for me, a Gem Mint card should be unimprovable in every aspect to warrant such a designation. I'm certain under some scrutiny that this PSA 10 Ryan rookie will have some flaws.

Then there's the issue of investing a lot of money into cards that could be altered. I have no idea if this Ryan card is altered or not. Of course we also don't know if some or all of the previous 19 submissions received the Evidence of Trimming designation. But I'm now convinced that if someone wants to get doctored cards graded, with a enough persistence it will happen and that's why I have little interest in tying up money in vintage "mint" or "gem mint" cards.

But to each his own or as an old hobby dinosaur used to tell me, "There's a paddle for every behind."