View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 PM

I met Jimmy at a National show a few years back. I had a some photos that I was looking to sell and was asking a few dealers if they were interested. I sold a few and bought a few before I wandered over to the huge Memory Lane “booth.” I asked a younger gentleman if he was interested in buying type 1s used for various 1930s cards. The guy said that I should wait for “Jimmy.” Two minutes or so later a smiling man greeted me and asked to see some stuff. He seemed pretty knowledgeable and he bought one or two. I had no idea who he was. I asked if he had any Conlons for sale and he kind of chuckled, reached for a portfolio book and handed it to me. As I flipped through the pages I soon realized that I had seen all of these gems before. There were many beautiful Gehrigs and I believe a few stunning Ruths. Holding his display book, I felt as if I was invited into a back room of a museum. I asked if he was The King of Clout and he replied “I’m Jimmy.” He was just a good guy. Later we corresponded through eBay and via email. Jimmy possessed super knowledge regarding vintage photos. He was always tolerant of my many questions and detailed in his excellent answers. My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP to The King of Clout.