View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Default Advice requested for a collector at a crossroad

Posted By: Josh K.

Jeff,

I am generally a HOF collector. I simply dont like spending large sums of money on common players to complete a set. However, even though I may desire to one day have one example of each HOFer, I definitely find myself concentrating on a select few (grover, cobb, matty, big train, etc.). I truly enjoy collecting these cards w/o worrying about completing the sets.

That said, last year, after winning a lot with several e93s, I decided to take the plunge and see what it was that the set collectors liked so much. Now, a year or so later, as Im waiting on the last card needed to complete my e93 set to arrive, I can say it was fun and provides a nice challenge. I still hate that I spent a lot of money on commons, but they are generally very pleasing cards nonetheless. I will probably never sell my e93s and will instead try to continually upgrade the set (of course, if I do sell, it will only be the commons and dups I obtain trying to upgrade).

Dont know if that really answered your question or not - just my thought process. Cmoking has it right - just do both.