View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 AM
David M.

Default Set Identified

I thought you guys might like to know what the answer was. I have a follow up from the original poster Amit Benyovits:

"Hi Guys

The mystery has been solved but much more to uncover.

Once i get on a topic i get obsessed until i have all the answers.

Turns out that 1754 Film Star stamp set was released in the UK Picture Show Magazine.
The set was called Who's Who and were issued in strips of 7 alphabetically.

If they only came 7 to an issue then this massive set would have spanned some 5 plus years.

The magazine insert below is from April 1933 as it references a new movie launch that week starring Regis Toomey called Soldiers of the Storm...as you can see the stamps below are from the M range of tha alphabet making the sets release somewhere between 1930/31 to 1934/35.

That of course only holds if a) they were released 7 to a magazine and b)if they were release alphabetically in order.

That would still put the Babe Ruth stamp within his playing days.

I'm curious from you PSA and Sports guys if you think PSA would grade something like this.
Clearly there are many examples of items that were either cut off or out of things as well as magazine inserts that have been graded.

Troy pointed out a set called Seein Stars Movie Star Stamps that were issued as inserts in a Sunday Newspaper and meant to be cut out.

Anyways I'd love to know your thoughts on these stamps."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UK Picture Show Magazine 1930s.jpg (80.8 KB, 40 views)