View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Default Shoeless Joe in the Hall?

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

Jay,

I will choose to ignore your pointless wrestling comment...

I do understand that grave consequences were then and are now required for game fixing. But unless you are a member of the Spanish Inquisition or kick puppies...I guess I can't fathom what your idea of punishment for Joe should have been.

His life, career, and joy were taken from him for the rest of his life.
Many, many games were fixed by a myriad of characters in the deadball era. Granted, this was on a grander scale, but the punishment should now be over.

Most murderers are released from jail eventually and deemed "forgiven" by society. Sure a few die in prison or are executed, but even then society moves onward.

A lifetime ban was an extremely harsh punishment and, possible, entirely deserved, but NOTHING more. Given the continual moral decline in this society, I have a hard time believing that we as a society can't forgive a gambling mistake after that person is DEAD when rapists, murders, etc roam free around us everyday.

Dan, I haven't been able to find definitive proof he was barred. In the Chase bio, the authors intimated he was never officially banned. Can you give me a source??

Shawn