View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 12:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
You have Billy Robinson who was actually a tremendous real wrestler but has little fan fare in professional wrestling circles at this point that went for $9.30 in a PSA 9 and you have Steve Olsonoski who was a rising star in the early 80's working mostly in Georgia and Minnesota but for whatever reason flamed out in a PSA 9 for $11.50.

Both are great copies of the card and just go into one of my registry sets. I have quite a few going and when I can pick up already graded Mint examples at way below what a BIN will cost I do so.
You make some good points.

A card at 11.50 is pretty close to a free card with the grading..

I'm not as sure that the risk is the same with PWCC as with anyone else. Of course alterations and fakes have been with us probably from the beginning, I bought a fake card at the first show I went to in 1978. I feel the risk is higher if a dealer is known to regularly handle cards with well done alterations.

I'm also not so sure that buying from them is the way to go.
In the case of some cards, I can see where it would be hard to ignore.
My kids will sometimes do things I don't want them to do. sometimes minor, sometimes bigger. On some stuff they might lie to try to cover up what they did. And yet later they ask for the computer, or to go to the corner store for candy. I tell them no because it feels like I'm rewarding them for being bad (especially the lying, if they'd just say "yes, I spilled milk and left it because I didn't want to miss Teen Titans Go " instead of "spilled milk? What spilled milk" I might go easier)
Buying from someone who by all indications sold altered stuff for years and then tries to cover by saying those alterations are conservation seems like rewarding them for being bad.*

I'd probably feel more strongly about it if I'd spent hundreds on an altered card. And I have no idea what I'd do if I'd spent thousands. (I think the most I spent on any collectible was around 1200)

*And yet, I still buy stuff from Lowes despite having bought a snowblower that lasted maybe 10 hours of operating time before the engine seized. And it was just out of warranty... (&(_^&& Lowes and Troy Bilt.