Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Kin K.

I'm certainly intrigued and someday would like to complete sets like the 1911 ATC (T36), 1960 Hawes Wax Indy, 1954 Stark & Wetzel and definitely the Marhoefer set.

I've definitely noticed what you say about cards sitting on eBay. I have recently bought two of the Ralph DePalmas. I won two others at auction, for much less than the "asking" prices of the others. I will definitely take my time on it.

Thank you for the info on the Foyt Marhoefer card. I have only been looking for a couple of months, but have been waiting to it (alone) to come available. Looks like I will be waiting awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I have been a huge racing fan my entire life. My parents took me to my first dirt-track race when i was just a few months old and racing has always been a huge part of my family.

I assume you are talking the Marhoefer Meats sets of Indy cards from the 1960s?

I am not sure what you consider "vintage" as far as racing cards go. But I have had some iconic racing cards on my want list for a while now. It's tough because the same cards sit on eBay forever as BINs and the major cards rarely to never pop up at all.

I have looked for a while now for an A.J. Foyt Marhoefer's card at auction, but I never even see a Foyt card for sale individually from the set. Same thing for the iconic cards from the landmark 1972 STP NASCAR set. The same cards sit on eBay forever (Buddy Baker, Elmo Langley, Dave Marcis), but Richard Petty, Bobby Allison and Fred Lorenzen virtually never pop up. Lorenzen with car from the 1972 STP set is one of the all-time great rarities of all racing cards, to the point that there was some doubt as to whether or not it was even distributed at all up until a few years ago.

I was the underbidder on a 1986 Dale Earnhardt SportsStar Photographics card on eBay a few weeks ago. That is one of the iconic racing cards to be had. It is scarce, but it at least pops up more than the cards I mentioned previously.

Stark and Wetzel also produced a series of Indy cards in the mid 1950s. There are a bunch of them on eBay that have been there for a long time as BINs.

But, yea, it is a difficult process trying to find vintage racing cards of big name drivers -- anything that predates the 1988 MAXX era of overproduction.