View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 08:08 PM
David Kathman

I couldn't find my copy of the 1946 American Card Catalog -- I think I must have put it in one of the boxes when I was organizing and storing my old hobby publications a few months ago. I'll try to dig that out later, but in the meantime I do have the 1939 United States Card Catalog and the 1953 ACC.

The first three pages below are from the 1939 USCC, and they're all I could find for what we now call D, M, or H baseball cards. This catalog was basically just Burdick by himself cataloguing his collection, with maybe some other sets that he happened to know about; what we call M cards (including M116 on the third page) were lumped together as "miscellaneous". The fourth picture below is from the 1940 supplement to the USCC, and it reclassifies M116s as 14 in the "Old Advertising Cards" group.

The following pages are from the 1953 ACC. By this time, Burdick and his collaborators had pretty much come up with the broad classifications we know today, but they made quite a few changes in numbering of specific sets between this edition and the 1960 edition. The 1946 edition is closer to the 1953 than to the 1939, but it has its own idiosyncrasies. I'll post those pages when I'm able to dig it out.