View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Mark, those are great pennants. O'Malley wanted to distance the team from any connection to the old lovable Bums of Brooklyn, the name resulting from them always losing the WS up until 1955. He felt the move to LA needed to be focused on a successful team if they were going to have any chance of surviving here. Most people don't realize that the move wasn't popular to a lot of folks in LA, and a public referendum allowing Chavez Ravine to be swapped to O'Malley so he could build the new stadium was nearly defeated. So the Bum had to go, and the Dodgers had to be identified as winners. Kind of surprising the Bum resurfaced in 1963 on a pennant. I've seen that pennant, never noticed that it has the Sportsservice symbol on it.

Related to your post, I recently picked up the pennant below. I remember prior posts about how the same artwork was used for many different teams, just the names and colors were changed. Does anyone know if the little guy throwing the ball on this pennant was used for other teams (of course with a different logo on the hat)?

Rick

Attachment 376083
Rick-

Thanks! That’s great information about O’Malley, the rejection of the Bum, and the early reception of the Dodgers in the LA market.

As for your Dodgers pennant... that’s a rare version and very undervalued, IMHO. The Dodgers had a lot of Chavez Ravine variations, with that being perhaps the rarest. And that little midget mascot was never used by any other team, to my knowledge. I would’ve seen him by now!

Here’s another guy that’s completely unique to the Dodgers. Much more common pennant, but still a cool ‘60’s mascot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C0D23E59-C5C1-4C17-9A57-7E352AD2DF93.jpg (20.4 KB, 184 views)