View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Hank Thomas

Default Not convinced

I'm not sold on the fact that Val's is an original, either, although as a big fan and friend of Val's I hope it is. I see a BIG difference in the LOTG version and those from the supposed warehouse find of the 80s. If nothing else, the find version was either made by different people or by a very different process, or both. The tassels are actually a different color and considerably larger, and the "felt" looks to be of the newer, stiffer type than the old soft felt in the LOTG pennant. I don't know if puckering proves anything, but that's another difference. Negro league material had become quite collectible by the mid to late 80s, and would have been a natural to forge since the original exemplars to compare to were so scarce, so that argument against the possibility of forgeries doesn't hold water for me. I'd like to see some documentation of the "warehouse find" or at least see one of Val's type pennants for sale somewhere earlier than the date of the "find." As a pennant guy, it's a fascinating topic.